I love it when I see other bloggers bare their souls and really share themselves with all of us in bloggyland.
However, all too often, we forget to admire ourselves, see through the self-judgement and past the imperfections, and really see ourselves. For, we are not merely a collection of faults and deeds undone.
We are all magnificent, extraordinary, witty, and remarkable in our own ways.
Often others see it in us, but how often do we turn this admiring lens inwards.
Today, people. Today.
I love the lists I have read from many of you, appreciating yourselves, perhaps seeing yourself through our eyes as well as your own.
So, here goes. Some thing I like about me:
1. I like being tall. Even though I cannot buy shoes other than at clown supply stores and it is impossible buy shirts with long enough sleeves, being tall is pretty cool.
2. People ask me for advice. I am generally known, except for hormonal times of the month, to be a relatively reasonable and fair person. I am often able to see more than one side of a problem and try to come up with a way to solve things that helps everyone. I am a Libra all the way.
3. I let my kids run free. I grew up on a farm in a very rural area and I would like my children to have some freedom when it comes to being outdoors. They do have boundaries, but I let me older one run around a fair bit and try to trust her, but also be safe.
4. I am adventurous. I have done many adventurous things, some of them brave, some were stupid, others were downright crazy. But, I did them and lived to tell the tale. I have lived in China, eaten frog, attended a wedding in the home of headhunters, moved to Australia for a man and was promptly dumped, moved clear across the country to start a new life, and I share much of it with all of you.
5. I can fix things. I can fix your computer, install a ceiling fan, hang a large tv on the wall, put bbq’s together, though often by mistake. I take chances, make mistakes, and sometimes it turns out right.
6. My hair is pretty awesome. There is lots of it and for some reason it has now seen fit to go curly-ish. My mom kept my hair short as a kid because someone told her it would grow in thicker. They were right, it is quite the do.
7. I am very social. Even though I was quite shy when I was a kid, I have blossomed into a gregarious nosy blabbermouth with good intentions. I love meeting new people, making new people feel welcome, and drinking wine whenever possible with my besties.
8. I can cook. I love cooking, now. I used to only make canned soup and sometime french onion soup with way too much cheese on it. Now I can make curry, thai soups, giant-turkeys-complete-with-fixings-all served-hot-at-the-same-time, and sometimes I even make pie.
9. I can write and draw. I’m no Picasso, but I do my best. I love drawing and writing. It’s a fantastic outlet and such a wonderful feeling to have people like your work.
10. Turns out I am pretty funny. I love making other people laugh, myself included. Being silly or witty takes the edge off sometimes and can actually bring quite serious things to light in a not-so-serious way. Laughter really is the best medicine. I hope everyone got a dose today.